Product detail pages are one of the most important parts of your Amazon business. This is where customers learn more about your brand and products. The content on these pages is often the deciding factor on whether a customer makes a purchase. With this in mind, here are eight simple ways you can improve your product detail pages to maximize conversions.
1. Optimize Your Product Titles
The product title is the first thing shoppers see when they visit your product page. It’s also the most important. Product titles should be clear and descriptive. Amazon uses the words in product titles to display your products in search results. It’s important to include your primary keyword at the beginning of your product title. You also want to include other relevant keywords, but don’t overdo it. Keep your product titles around 200 characters.
Your product title should echo what is on the physical packaging. Each individual word in the product title is searchable on its own. For example, an item called Laura Ashley Sophia Collection 300-Thread-Count Pillow Cases (Blue, Queen, Set of 2) is better than Blue Pillow Cases. This is because the recommended product title above includes the following information:
- Brand – Laura Ashley
- Product line – Sophia Collection
- Material or key feature – 300-Thread-Count
- Product Type – Pillow Cases
- Color – Blue
- Size – Queen
- Packaging/Quantity – Set of 2
2. Use High-Quality Images
Many sellers underestimate the importance of product images on Amazon. Compelling product images give customers a better sense of what they will receive. Amazon allows seven images for each product detail page. Your images should highlight as much information about your product as possible. This can include different angles, infographics showing benefits and features, size and dimension charts, and lifestyle images that show your product in real-life situations. Effective product images inspire customers to buy your product. They can also reduce returns. Below are a few best practices for uploading high-quality images that help drive sales.
- The image matches the product description in size, color, and so on.
- The product is recognizable.
- The image is a photo and not a drawing.
- The photo is taken at a flattering angle.
- The product is focused and well-lit.
- Close-up shots are not obscured by highlights or shadows.
- The product occupies at least 80% of the image area.
- The image depicts the entire product.
- Backgrounds are simple and clean so as not to distract from the product.
- Provide as many different images as possible. Many product categories allow for the inclusion of swatch images and alternate images.
3. Optimize Your Bullet Points
Another important part of your product listing is the list of bullet points. This is where you describe the unique features and benefits of your product. Your bullets should include keywords and keyword phrases – especially in the first three points. Most categories allow up to five. Strong bullet points highlight the product’s features and benefits with clear, honest language. Use the following guidelines to increase customer interest in your product:
- Highlight the five key features you want customers to consider. This can include dimensions, age appropriateness, skill level, contents, etc.
- Maintain a consistent order. If your first bullet point is country of origin, keep that same order for all your products.
- Reiterate essential information from the title and description.
- Begin each bullet point with a capital letter.
- Write with sentence fragments and do not include ending punctuation.
- Do not include promotional and pricing information.
4. Include Videos
Including videos on your product detail pages is a powerful way to drive sales. According to some data, product videos can improve conversion rate by 80%. Like copywriting and graphics, Amazon product videos should show the item in a way that builds purchase intent. The following are the two most common types of Amazon product videos:
- Product Display Videos: These are simple videos that show the product and its unique features and benefits. They often include a model holding or wearing the product. As the camera focuses on various parts of the product, descriptive text shows on the screen.
- Product Lifestyle Videos: These videos show the product in use. This helps the customer visualize how the product would fit into their way of life. These types of videos also inform and educate customers about your brand story.
5. Optimize Your Keywords
Keyword research is ongoing. As you discover new keywords that your customers are using to find your products, add them to your product pages. If there are keywords that do not fit organically into the main copy of your product detail pages, include them in the backend. These should only include generic words that enhance the discoverability of your listing. For example, if you sell headphones, your search terms can contain synonyms such as “earphones” and “earbuds.” Search terms are not required fields, but they can increase visibility for your product detail pages.
6. Monitor Your Pricing Health
Amazon wants to be Earth’s most customer-centric company. This means providing the best customer experience possible. In doing so, Amazon seeks to provide the largest selection of products at the lowest prices. Many sellers discount the importance of developing a strong pricing strategy on Amazon. It takes careful planning to determine a price that will win you the Buy Box. This is the white box on the right side of the Amazon product detail page where customers can add items to their cart. Without the Buy Box, you will not make sales. Be sure to monitor the price of your products to make sure you are winning the Buy Box and appealing to customers.
7. Include A+ Content
An important benefit of enrolling in Brand Registry is the ability to create enhanced content. The A+ Content feature enables brand owners to modify the product descriptions of branded ASINs. Using this tool, you can describe your product features with a unique brand story, enhanced images, and text placements. Adding A+ Content to your product detail pages can result in higher conversion rates, increased traffic, and increased sales. To learn more, read our article “How A+ Content Can Supercharge Your Product Detail Pages.”
8. Build Positive Reviews
About 95% of customers read reviews before making a purchase, according to Spiegel Research Center. Upon visiting a product page, many customers will skip immediately to the first few reviews to determine whether they should read more. For this reason, building positive reviews is one of the most powerful ways to improve your product detail pages. This can be challenging – especially for new sellers or products. To make it easier, we’ve compiled a list of shortcuts that will help you accumulate and manage customer reviews.